At some point, probably at the end of the war, in 1945, the Trustees for Hallam Tennyson employed Francis Pittis & Son to act as agents for the estate. On 10th August 1945, British Holiday Estates Ltd. acquired the whole of the "Farringford Estate, Freshwater" from the Trustees [Letter from Francis Pittis & Son to H.M. Customs, BT 243/297 Purchase of Priors Freshwater] and the house was converted into a hotel.
The first advert to appear in The Isle of Wight County Press appeared in July 1946 and announced that the hotel was also open to non-residents:
[Isle of Wight County Press, Saturday 20 July 1946, No. 3216, Vol. LXII]
Adverts were also placed in the national newspapers. It is clear that the produce of the kitchen garden and Home Farm were being used to supply their own hotel kitchen.
[The Times, 28 Oct. 1946]
In 1945, a group of cottages were built to provide separate accommodation for guests. A report was submitted by Clough William-Ellis, architect, describing the project as “a projected hotel colony at Farringford, Isle of Wight.” [RAIL 648/121 – see Appendix J - Williams-Ellis Report 1945] By 1946, these cottages were ready for the public:
[The Times, 11 June 1946]
“In the grounds are six cottages for visitors. They are by Clough Williams-Ellis and Lionel Brett.”
[Nikolaus Pevsner and David Lloyd: The Buildings of England, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. Penguin, 1967.]
The 1948 Telephone Directory lists the Farringford Hotel number as 312, while the number for guests was 304.
A large water tank was erected on the west side of the main block on the flat roof over the back landing to the second storey. The glass-roof extension in the central courtyard was built as a “glass-topped serving-pantry” by the hotel between 1946 and 1952, when first mentioned in correspondence. [M. Corr. 1952 Jan. 17 & 1952 Jan. 10] This is now an office area. The new dining room addition
was made in 1952 as Rev. MacDonald-Millar speaks about having to dine in the conservatory because the 'the "dining-room" of the hotel was being re-modelled [M. Corr. 1952 Jan. 10]. This took the form of a ground floor, single storey brick extension on the south side of the ‘ball room’, the full length of the new study block. The windows were in the same style as Tennyson’s study above with a frieze with a similar motif immediately above the heads of the windows. On the east side, french windows gave access to the garden. A flat roof was ringed by a castellated parapet in keeping with the rest of the eave-lines.