TENNYSON’S BRIDGE

Alfred, Lord Tennyson’s original bridge, built in 1860, was a slighter structure, more rustic and vine clad, than the one you see here. Early photographs dating from around 1910 show a more solid structure with the latticework design. The bridge has been replaced numerous times through the years, although the location remains the same. It spans a section of the lane that separates the main garden from the copse, known by the old eighteenth century name of “The Wilderness”.

tennyson bridge

A MEMORIAL SUNDIAL

This Arts & Crafts terracotta sundial is designed by Mary Seton Watts, an accomplished artist and wife of the renowned painter and sculptor, George Frederic Watts. The Sundial may be found in the Walled Garden.

Watts sundial

THE WELLINGTONIA

The great Italian General and radical politician, Giuseppe Garibaldi (1807-1882), planted a Wellingtonia following a meeting with Tennyson during his three-week stay at Brook House, the Isle of Wight home of Charles Seeley. The trunk and root system are all that remain of the tree today and it can be found in front of the House.

tree planted by garibaldi

THE GREENHOUSE

In February 2017 construction began of a Victorian style greenhouse to replace one lost many years ago. We know that Alfred and Emily had a greenhouse on the same site as there are references to a greenhouse in the diaries of Emily Tennyson. The Greenhouse may be found in the Walled Garden.

victorian greenhouse

Points of Interest

There are many interesting places to see at Farringford, here are just a few.

>
© 2019 Farringford