Farringford is a Grade 1 Listed Building and was the main domicile residence of Alfred Lord Tennyson, Poet Laureate, from 1856 until his death in 1892. It continued in the possession of the Tennyson family until 1945, when it was sold to British Holiday Estates Ltd, who converted the historic house into a hotel. It continued as a hotel until 2010. Since then the property has undergone extensive restoration and is has now reopened to the public as a historic home. Please note that we do not have a cafe or gift shop at Farringford. A limited selection of soft drinks and some Tennyson related books and postcards are available from the Ticket Office.